Monday, May 19, 2008

Food and Pets or vice versa

Oh, I've been around about various blogs today. So I will share and hope you have as much fun as I have been having.

I don't care for pets. WOW News flash, eh?? (hope you can understand Canadian). So I read this blog and I knew that I had found a soul sistah (do you read eubonics??). I loved this comment: "When I had a gerbil, I would wait until it was running it's its little wheel then I would spin that sucker so fast he would experience g-forces unknown to the gerbil world." hahahahaha. Comprenden?? (continuing in the multilingual flavor of spanish)

Next, I read this blog about food our mothers forced on us. The comments are hysterical also. Don't miss those. "Powdered milk is a horrible thing to do to perfectly good water. The tendency to inflict it on the family is passed down from generation to generation, like child abuse. Your grandmother did it, your mother did it. Fortunately, you've stopped the cycle of abuse." I expect, no demand, to know your tales as I share mine. Even though some of them would apply to me. And come back and recommend as you think of stuff.

Memorable motherly masterpieces to manger (there's the french):

My mother served me:

Brown sugar sandwiches on days when we'd take communion (Catholic, remember) and we had to fast before partaking. Then, we'd get to eat breakfast in class. Boy what a reward for taking communion. I have been known to treat myself to these very occasionally in adulthood when I need comforting. My mom is always near then.

3 bean salad. very bitter vinegary stuff. I told her I'd throw up, but she insisted. I remained at the kitchen table for HOURS, but no mercy. Finally, I choked it down. Then I threw up. Told ya.

Spanish rice (rice, tomato sauce). Just ask my sister. And spaghetti Creole (spaghetti, tomatoes, tomato sauce). ditto. Chili. I have developed my loathing of kidney beans from this masterpiece. Just ask my sister. My sister found a way to enjoy meatloaf, although I cannot. One time Joan served me meatloaf insisting that it wasn't anything like mom's. I tried, Joan, I really tried. But I couldn't. The memories were too strong. Now, as an adult, I realize that at that time we didn't have a lot of money. So I forgive her (my mommy). But I still can't eat those.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. Actually, I liked these, even made them for myself.

Giblet gravy. OK, she didn't make me eat this, but the very idea of eating gravy with chopped up organs in it did not appeal.

Liver and onions were marginally tolerable if you had enough onions to kill the liver taste. But again, organs.

Brussel Sprouts. Lima beans. Even Dad can't eat these.

One time they made me a whole pizza with the crust cut off. They weren't always mean ;) And of course, I ate the whole thing. I think they did it as a joke, thinking I couldn't possibly eat it all. But hey, when you are a picky eater, you've got to get your calories for the lean times. And she made good pizza.

Okay, now I've got to eat. But it's within MY control now!!!

5 comments:

dan said...

I remember my mom used to eat graham crackers dipped in milk and just the sight of it was enough to make me sick.

What a weirdo!!!! :-D

annahannah said...

well, I was fed that when I had an upset stomach. It symbolized caring and my mom. Deal with it. What are your food memories that I ruined your life over. Or enhanced it.

Carolyn said...

I've discovered that powdered milk isn't too bad if you drink it very chilled. I mean, imagine drinking a regular glass of milk that's warm. Eww. We use powdered milk a lot in cooking. And when we run out of milk I make up a batch of powdered milk and pop it in the fridge. If you are accustomed to skim milk, then chilled powdered milk tastes pretty much the same.

I don't really remember being forced to eat things when I was a kid. But I do remember having some silly picky kid habits that I've out grown. Such as, for a while I wouldn't eat any foods with "green things" in it. You know, spices or parsley. I also used to hate spaghetti sauce. Oddly enough, I still don't love spaghetti sauce. I like it very smooth, no chunks and in small doses. I've never liked onions. I recall eating dinner at my aunt's house as a kid and she insisted that there were no onions in the food. Then I took a bite and it was loaded and reeked of onions! I was so annoyed that she thought she could trick me. And look, I never forgot it.

It has taken me a looooong time to learn this lesson. But forcing kids to eat food is a terrible idea. It NEVER works. It almost always back fires in the form of vomiting, dinner fights, or life long scaring. You never forget if you had a really bad experience being forced to eat food. I've made some mistakes with this with my own kids and learned the hard way. Never again will I force my kids to eat food. I've also found that as kids get older, they become more willing to try new foods on their own. Just keep serving a variety of foods and let the kids see you eating a variety of foods and eventually they might want to try some too.
And there's my super long two cents. Or perhaps this is a $1.50 worth.

Ker said...

One word: Onions.

Other than that, I can't remember. Maybe it's because you went so far the other way in trying to avoid handing down the bad food experiences you had as a child. Not that that is a bad thing. I learned later in life to branch out and try new foods, so it's all good.

I have to agree with Carolyn that I don't think forcing your kids to eat something is a good idea. Because ask anyone why he/she has a negative association with a particular food, and it almost always stems back to childhood and being made to eat that food. Mom might think that I don't like vegetables because we never had them...but it's more likely due to being forced to eat them at R. Dad's, even if it was only 2-3 weeks out of the year. I think almost all of my negative food experiences come from there. I've always appreciated how Mom would let us eat something else if we didn't like what was on the table. So I really don't have anything bad to say, Mom...except that I don't like slimy onions!

annahannah said...

I can't believe noone has mentioned "donuts for dinner". Wasn't that memorable??