Saturday, May 31, 2008

The garden, spring 2008

So, our garden looks really nice in the spring, esp after we plant a few annuals. And, by the way, I love weirdness. in flowers. I plan to show you some of my weird acquisitions.





This is what is still known as "Ryan's Garden", even though he doesn't live here anymore and has no say any longer about what to plant or that they must be purchased and planted in groupings of three. :D Wish I knew how to make smiley emoticons on my blog.:( We (using the term loosely: I buy and David usually plants). This year, I got a bunch of violets from my sister's garden. I love violets. Although they only bloom for a bit in the early spring, I remember them from Linden Lane (where I grew up) and the "forest" in our backyard. The leaves are very pretty and heart-shaped, so even without the blooms, it is pretty. And, I figured if they grew under trees in the "forest", they should grow under this tree. And they spread also.

I also bought 2 and received 3 from my sister of a plant/bush called astilbe. They are supposed to do well in the shade. Well, after 2 weeks, one is nearly dead having been transplanted to the sun because it was dying in the shade. Hope I get my money back. The second one that I picked out (my sister's contributions are fairing slightly better) is showing signs of demise also. I also bought some more hosta for around the edges. The first place I looked, they wanted $20-30 for them. I was in shock. This is HOSTA we are talking about...common, ya know?? Then I went to another place where I got them for $4 each. Yay, me.




This is the garden under the bedroom windows, commonly known as the bedroom garden or the garden by the windows. Clever, no?? I point out particularly the bleeding heart or dianthus (i think). Lovely in bloom. Too bad the leaves die with the blooms. It is a perennial. The border is mostly sweet woodruff, which is a perennial and can usually be found in the herb section. I found this out by searching all over and having to ask. I(we) love the way some of it is poking out through the bricks. There is a new weirdo plant here also, but you can't really see it. I'll show a closeup later. Also, if you can see lots of tall spiky leaves, those are part of the something-bells we purchased a long time ago. Obviously they spread like mad and have lots of purple or white bells (oh, it's bellflower i think) that last all summer.



This is the sun garden or garage garden or front garden...take your pick. Some annuals like dwarf dahlia, cosmos, and snapdragons are there. And some weirdos. Snapdragons allegedly self seed, so the idea was to see if they could come visit every year, saving us from buying annuals. (cheapskates, we) There is also a lot of perennial columbine(which spreads) and bachelor button (which spreads), and sedum (which....spreads).



This is one of 2 weirdo plants. The other is the one you can't see in the bedroom garden. I don't know if they flower or anything, but I just loved the leaves. I think it is a perennial.



Note the big bushes at the end...these are my bachelor buttons, the weirdo plant from last year. Don't worry, I'm gonna show you a close up so you can appreciate its weirdness first hand.


Bachelor buttons in front.



The flowers, if you can see them, have a round purple center, and the "leaves" of the flower are 2 skinny blue things that fray at the end and curl up. Looks like no bachelor's buttons I've ever seen. Weirdos.



And now, my other weirdo plant I just HAD to buy. It is called celosia, and can be either an indoor or outdoor plant. I'm hoping I can bring them inside during winter to keep them for next year.



Another celosia closeup.

It is funny to me to see how much pleasure I get from going out and viewing (and talking to) my garden. While I was growing up, the only thing "garden" meant was the dreaded weeding.

2 comments:

thekerrclan said...

Flowers and plants of all kinds bring me great pleasure as well! It looks great. I'm always impressed with anyone who does annuals...I figure if I can get it planted once...that's accomplishing a great feat.

Anonymous said...

I may be a little biased, but I love our gardens as well. Though that one under the tree always dies by July. Maybe we should make it a rock garden, or plant ground cover like pacasandra.
David.