Monday, January 12, 2009

Parenting

I just read on somebody's blog the following sentence: "The proof of good parenting is in the lives of our children..."

What??!! If my child screws up because of stupid choices he is making with his darn-it-all free agency, then I am a bad parent?? The trouble is that This lie from Satan is commonly and frequently visiting my psyche enough anyway. I can get quite upset enough about it without someone validating it by writing it down.

I know that I can look at some of my children and think, "see, I was a good parent". But it is the one that got away that torments me.

To be fair, the blog, The more the messier, uses this comment on her blog to say it isn't true...

"I mean, if only, right? If only we could rest assured that by doing everything "right" (whatever that means) when raising our children, we would be rewarded with responsible, loving, hard-working teens and adults. But, um, no. Doesn't work that way. I've seen kids raised on TV and junk food and general neglect turn into the most wonderful people, and I've witnessed children nurtured and read to and lovingly disciplined develop into the most nightmarish teens you would wish to see."

...but it still hits me between the eyes every single d***** time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too true. Free agency is a good thing, but it's too bad that some use it to make bad choices over and over and over again. Being a parent is probably the scariest most nerve racking thing I've ever done and I know it will get harder and harder. And I know even after my kids grow up and leave that I will still worry over them. You're right, the best parents can still have kids that make terrible choices. It's unfortunate, but so true. And it's not the parents' fault.

Braden said...

We do our best, and that's all we can do. Heavenly Father knows your heart. You're a good mommy.

Love you!

-Kerry-

(my computer's not working again)

annahannah said...

I saw that it said Braden sent this, but when it said "mommy", I knew it was Kerry.