Monday, October 06, 2008

Portland Street names

Okay, so I love Salt Lake City and its grid system. Wherever you go, you know where you are by the address. You can find anything.

Portland has at least created a quarterly system: You live either in NW, SW, NE, or SE. East and west are divided by the Willamette River (pronounced will AM it). North and South are divided by, I think, Baseline Road. So, you can tell which quarter of the city you are in just by the street name, for example, SW 170th street. NW Blah Street (ok, I made that one up, but I am in the SW so that's pretty much what I know) (except there is probably a NW 170th also).

My peeve is this. SW Blah court, SW Blah lane, SW Blah street, SW Blah Ave., SW Blah Road, SW Blah cirle, etc. I mean it. And there is no rhyme or reason for where these streets are located. If you are aiming for a BLVD, and are on a street, you could be ANYWHERE in relation to where you want to be.

yikes.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

We get lots of "poor folks" from the west who complain about being lost out there in the east. We've got no grids and no mountains to guide them. They have to read signs, use maps and (gasp) remember stuff!!

Poor babies.